Facing Divorce or Separation and Can’t Sleep Anymore?
Not only are you facing divorce or separation, now you can’t sleep. Just when you need all your faculties to navigate through this life-changing event. We all know that the quality of our health, relationships, work, and mood all depend on our quality of sleep.
If tossing and turning has replaced a restful sleep, check out these tips to get back on track:
1. Set a definite time for going to bed and arising and keep it, regardless of what your perceived need for sleep seems to be.
2. Set a regular time for meals, and keep it.
3. Absolutely no napping; stay up during non-set times no matter what.
4. NEVER stay in bed when you can’t sleep. Get up and do something until you feel tired or until your set time for getting up.
5. Exercise every day, but not in the evening or late at night.
6. Use the bedroom for sleep and sex only. Remove telephone, computer, magazines, etc.
7. Eliminate all stimulants – caffeine (coffee, tea, cola drinks, chocolate, diet pills, decongestants, energy compounds, etc.).
8. Cover the clock. Do not allow yourself to check the time at any point during the night.
9. Read a complicated or boring book.
10. Make a list of things you have to do tomorrow before going to bed.
11. Use Progressive Muscle Relaxation. Beginning with your feet and working your way up your body, tighten and release each muscle group.
12. Stress will leave our minds racing at night. Try completing as many things off of your to do list as possible before going to bed.
13. Leave a notepad on your bedside table. If you do wake up with that list whirring through your head, write down the task. Now you won’t forget it.
13. Meditate for 5 or 10 minutes before you go to bed. You will be amazed to see how much you can calm your mind down.
Bloomsburg Psychological Center, LLC